Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Palin cites rural roots in speech to convention

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin cited her rural roots in her speech to the Republican National Convention tonight.

"I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town," Palin said. "I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA ... because I wanted to make my kids' public education even better. When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and I knew their families, too.

"Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities." Democratic nominee Barack Obama began his career as a community organizer on Chicago's South Side. Palin also alluded to Obama's remarks about small-town voters clinging to religion and guns.

Palin reiterated that she opposed the "Bridge to Nowhere" to be funded by a congressional earmark, despite recent news stories that revealed her initial support of the appropriation as governor. She took this shot at news coverage of her: "I've learned quickly, these last few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone." That brought a large chorus of agreeable boos from the Republicans in St. Paul. UPDATE, Sept. 8: McCain's latest TV commercial gives Palin equal billing and says "She stopped the Bridge to Nowhere."

No comments: