Leland aptly compares the changes apparent from the Putman reunion records to the changes farm families have experienced across America over the last century. And so do the Putmans.
“It is a story of younger people leaving their family farms for job opportunities elsewhere, of farm consolidation and loosening family connections,” Leland writes. In testimony after testimony, Putman family members told Leland of their decision decades ago to leave the family business for something more lucrative. “I knew I didn’t want to milk cows seven days a week,” said one Putman, now 86. “The dairy industry was a tough business, and they weren’t making any money.” In one family, none of the 10 children wanted to milk cows.
The 2025 reunion hosted just 26 members of the family. In years gone by, attendance often exceeded 100. Leland quotes the village historian: “Nobody stays,” she said. “We’re friendly, but there’s nothing to do here, like you can do in a bigger area.”
In a subsequent post in the story’s online reader comments, Leland may have expressed the same feelings as some of the Putmans still coming to the reunion from afar. He wrote:
Sometimes you commit to writing an article and then later think, “What did I get myself into?
That’s how I felt on the six-hour drive upstate. Then the day before the reunion, Janet Newtown showed me the ledger, going back to 1925. The paper was crumbling, and I wore white gloves to touch it. But it was a direct window into a world — not just a family, but a micro-history of small farming in the US, and a way of life for generations.
Sometimes, you’re glad you took that drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment