Sunday, March 01, 2009

New senator from N.Y. tries to broaden appeal beyond her rural congressional constituency

Appointed Democratic U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, who represented a largely rural, white and Republican congressional district, is trying to win over new constituents in New York City and other urban areas who can't accept the fact they have a senator who has a 100 percent rating from the National Rifle Association.

"She has tried to assure voters -- and colleagues -- in Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn that a lawmaker from a rural GOP House district can represent a broader, more urban constituency," wrotes Lois Romano of The Washington Post. "While she says her views aren't necessarily changing, there is no question that she is tweaking them as she goes."

"I will always protect hunters' rights. Always," Gillibrand told Romano. "I will always protect the Second Amendment. I will make sure every American has the right to own a gun. . . . That's very different from how do we protect our communities from gun violence, how do we reduce gang violence, how do we make sure we have a strong trafficking law to make sure criminals don't have access to guns? ... I do not support the NRA's agenda. I support my constituents' agenda."

New York's senior senator, Democrat Charles Schumer, came to her defense: "She is going to be able to evolve without being seen as a flip-flopper. ... When I was a congressman, I never voted for a farm subsidy. Now I do because I have constituents who have farms. That's what the system is about." (Read more)

No comments: