Monday, August 15, 2022

Making the case to the community for your news operation

Rural newspapers are shrinking, in pages and staff, but they also shrink from asking their readers for help. One good way to do that is to make them think about what life in their community would be like without the paper. John McGary of The Woodford Sun in Versailles, Ky., did that last week in a column headlined "Why we need the Sun," making an implicit plea for support.

Ernest Yanarella, Ph.D.
McGary began by quoting an eloquent but concise letter from retired University of Kentucky political-science professor Ernie Yanarella: "The Sun is the city’s glue, its civic adhesive, that comes to our homes and provides the latest news on the community’s politics, its high school sports, its religious institutions, its notable personages and local celebrities, its historical and cultural oddballs and idiosyncrasies; its past history and emerging developments, and, yes, its recorded crimes and on-going disputes – and so much more. That such a small office with just a few dedicated reporters and gracious staff brings us the news of the week should embarrass the big-city newspapers in Central Kentucky for the Sun’s ability to keep their pulse on community news and latest doings and share them in clear and concise journalese, sometimes with a creative, even humorous, twist."

McGary wrote, "I couldn’t have said it better myself, and believe me, I’ve tried. The Sun is one of the last family-owned, independent newspapers in the commonwealth. Should that change – and I certainly hope it doesn’t – here’s what will happen: A chain more interested in stockholders than our community will come in, fire at least one of our two reporters and farm other work out to someone in a faraway place. Then, school board, city council, fiscal court and planning and zoning meetings will go uncovered. While I think by and large we’ve got a good group of elected and appointed representatives, some will take liberties – and odds are, you’ll never find out. Interesting people and places will not be written about, or photographed. We will know a good bit less about each other."

Editor John McGary
After listing several newsy stories in one recent edition of the weekly, McGary continued, "I agree with our elected officials and civic boosters who say there are a lot of great things going on in Woodford County. But I’ll say this, politely I hope, to folks who’d rather send their advertising dollars to Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and other Internet billionaires than the Sun: A good community needs a good newspaper.

"A few years ago, mostly to amuse myself, I suppose, I looked into an editor’s job at a Central Kentucky chain-owned paper. Actually, two papers. I withdrew my name from consideration after a pleasant but pointless interview, during which I was told the chain had one reporter covering two counties. I’d have been the second, and the editor for each paper. The interviewers told me there was no need to actually attend government meetings – that I could take a look at the agenda and fast-forward to the good parts via Zoom. Thanks, but no thanks. To all those who subscribe to the Sun or pick up a copy at their local newsstand, thank you. Thanks also to the people who purchase ads. We’re planning new ways to cover news via the internet – hey, it owes us – but in the meantime, we’ll continue to do our best to inform and, on a good day, even entertain you."

No comments: