Sunday, July 06, 2008

Obama says he reads Cow-Calf Weekly, replies

Agriculture is "so far down the list of priorities of either candidate that we aren’t even on their radar screens," Troy Marshall wrote in the June 6 edition of Beef magazine's Cow-Calf Weekly. Sen. Barack Obama begs to differ.

"Agriculture is a very high priority for me," Obama said in a letter published in the June 27 edition. "I have held rural forums and meetings in most agriculture states and have released Rural Plans in states across the country. Unlike my opponent, I supported the recent Farm Bill though I had hoped it would have contained more reforms, including tighter payment limits. Senator McCain and I have established very different records on agriculture."

Obama added, "Beef producers are a key component in a healthy and vibrant rural America. By strengthening USDA and working to enhance food safety and meat processing, my administration will assist the industry in providing a wholesome and safe product to your customers." (Read more)

Obama did not respond to Marshall's contention that either candidate would raise taxes but "John McCain's top and overall rates will be lower than Barack Obama's, as will his exemption levels and rates for the death tax," the term opponents use for the estate or inheritance tax.

No comments: